[pm-h] blogging with blosxom

Julian Brown jlbprof at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 05:00:11 PDT 2018

Apache configuration is not easy, but once you get it set up it will run
forever without much interaction with you.

That being said:

- Have you ever done Apache configuration?
- The easiest thing to do is to add Bloxsum to one of your existing
websites on Apache
- We will have to do this interactively so do the following for me:

cd /etc/apache2/
hustle at HustleWebserver:/etc/apache2$ tree sites-available
sites-available
├── 000-default.conf
├── 001-learngigs.conf
├── 001-learngigs-le-ssl.conf
└── default-ssl.conf

0 directories, 4 files
hustle at HustleWebserver:/etc/apache2$ tree sites-enabled
sites-enabled
├── 000-default.conf -> ../sites-available/000-default.conf
├── 001-learngigs.conf -> ../sites-available/001-learngigs.conf
└── 001-learngigs-le-ssl.conf ->
/etc/apache2/sites-available/001-learngigs-le-ssl.conf

Once we identify which "website" to use, you will need to edit the conf
file.

Here is an example of how you will edit the file:

 11     <Directory /home/hustle/learn-cgi-bin>
 12         Options +ExecCGI
 13         AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl
 14         Require all granted
 15         AllowOverride all
 16         Allow from all
 17     </Directory>

 40     ScriptAlias "/cgi-bin/" "/home/hustle/learn-cgi-bin/"

You would identify the directory where the bloxsum cgi script resides, then
copy the above to the config file and change "/home/hustle/learn-cgi-bin"
to the directory where bloxsum resides.  Add the ScriptAlias line as well,
changing my directory to your bloxsum directory.

reboot your system and bloxsum should work something like this:

http://yourwebsite.com/cgi-bin/bloxsum.cgi

To be sure ps aux | grep httpd to make sure Apache is running.  If it is
not look in the logs probably in /var/log/apache2 to figure it out,
probably you typed something wrong in the conf file and got a syntax
error.   Fix it, rinse lather repeat.

As far as configuring it for static sites, you will need to read the config
file that comes with bloxsum and see if you can parse that out.

Get the site up first than we can look at your bloxsum config file and try
and fix that.

Hope that does not overwhelm.

Julian