[pm-h] blogging with blosxom

rlharris at oplink.net rlharris at oplink.net
Mon Aug 13 23:33:26 PDT 2018

I am running Debian Jessie.  I wish to use the blogging package Blosxom,
which was written in Perl, about fifteen years ago. The last development
work on Blosxom appears to have been done about ten years ago.

The original CGI script and documentation are available on sourceforge,
http://blosxom.sourceforge.net/documentation/users/; all configuration
parameters are in the Perl script.

Debian has a Blosxom package which allows use of a separate configuration
file.  The Debian package places some files in locations other than the
locations used in the original script.

Blosxom can generate a web page dynamically in response to a web request;
alternatively, Blosxom can generate a set of static web pages which can be
uploaded to a remote web server.  Blosxom also generates an RSS feed.

I am interested in Blosxom primarily because it can publish entries
composed entirely in plain text (but HTML formatting can be added, as
desired).

I have two specific problems, which the documentation does not seem to
address:

(1) I do not know how to trigger Blosxom in static mode.

(2) Apache2 is running on this machine, but I do not know how to enable
Apache to find and serve the blog which is produced, either dynamic or
static.

I would be grateful for assistance.

RLH