[pm-h] Google Hangouts for Introductory Perl Help

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Sat Oct 26 10:05:18 PDT 2013

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 07:32:39 -0500 (CDT)
rlharris at oplink.net wrote:

> I have spent several hours searching and reading regarding Google
> Hangouts.  It appears that Google is taking the system proprietary
> next month, moving away from XMPP, and making it difficult or
> impossible to go "off-record".  So Google Hangouts now is about as
> appealing to me as is Skype under the management of micro$oft.
>
> There appears a reasonable alternative to Hangouts, which is
> open-source and is being developed for the university environment --
> Big Blue Button. I think this should be investigated.
>
> http://bigbluebutton.org/

A few years ago, we looked at a whole bunch of these systems for remote
meetings. Every one we looked at had problems with some platform or
other.

I was thinking of Google Hangouts (not "on air") as a quick-n-dirty
attempt to make it work, without requiring a lot of special drivers,
etc.

The only requirements are:

  - A Google account (many people already have this)
  - The Hangouts app (supported by Google and appears to be OS/browser
    independent)

If we can make progress on it and the group is more interested in
another platform, I'm open to trying anything. But, for the first
attempt, at least, Hangouts seems to be the lowest friction approach
I've seen. Until we know if the idea is going to work, I'd like to
avoid potential bikeshedding.

If you have more info on "Big Blue Button" or would like to research
the requirements, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for the input,
Cannot say. Saying I would know, do not know, so cannot say.
                                  -- Zathras - "The War without End"