[pm-h] group activity (kind of) -"Bioinformatics Algorithms" course on Coursera (starts Nov. 4)

B. Estrade estrabd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 06:20:40 PDT 2013

This is a perfect opportunity to use Perl for a very interesting activity.

There is a Bioinformatics course on Coursera,

https://class.coursera.org/bioinformatics-001/class

This class is called, "Bioinformatics Algorithms". Since Perl is used
extensively in the field of bioinformatics, and the programming assignments
require interesting programming techniques (e.g., dynamic programming), I
can see this being of interest to some people here -

https://class.coursera.org/bioinformatics-001/assignment

You can use any language you want, but obviously I would assume anyone here
to use Perl.  It's free, and if several of us sign up (I and another I know
of already has), I think it could be a fun thing that we report on
periodically here (or discuss outright as it relates to Perl programming).

I know I will find this extremely challenging (both with time and subject
matter), so it would be cool to have some others to bounce ideas off of. At
the end (or from the start), we could throw all the code up on Github for
posterity's sake. I don't mean to group program, but be a study group of
sorts.

If you sign up, let me know. We can then figure out how we want to utilize
any study group that forms. We could use this list for the time being, but
if it got too chatty we could also move it to another list.

You may email me privately to let me know if you're going to do it. I hope
to have a few others working on this.

Thanks!
Brett

ps: Coursera has a ton of awesome CS (from theory to practical) classes
taught by highly regarded institutions and professors; e.g., Jeffrey Ullman
is teaching an Automata Class (one I recommend if interest and time
permits) -

https://www.coursera.org/courses?orderby=upcoming&cats=cs-ai,cs-programming,cs-systems,cs-theory