[Cincinnati-pm] May cinci.pm status

Ernst, Kevin Kevin.Ernst at cchmc.org
Sat May 9 08:24:38 PDT 2020

On 09.05.20 at 00:12, Scott R. Corzine wrote:
> Why don't we do both: this month start that collaborative basic perl
> module and next month do all of the bits and pieces around it needed
> to turn it into a respectable perl module.

Agreed, this sounds great. Especially the "respectable" part.

All I've been able to discern about Perl modules is that there's a
'package' somewhere in the middle, and they have to have '1;' at the
end, and that is so just Perl in a nutshell.

Look, I'm 50% joking here; I /have/ written Perl modules in a work
context. I just never felt like I was doing it right. Maybe I'm just a
weak/inexperienced developer who needs the hand-holding, but just seeing
how someone who knows what they're /doing/ would structure a module from
scratch would still be super-helpful.

Even if it's something facile and completely throwaway, like Yet Another
Template Processor, or Yet Another Command-line Weather-fetching Client.

Where to *put* them on a local system or shared server environment is a
whole other question. Like, should they go in
/usr/local/perl5/lib/perl5/5.28.1/site_perl, or
/usr/local/perl5/lib/perl5/5.28.1/linux-x86_64/lib/perl5/…, or, aw hell.
Where are they /supposed/ to go? Where do I put a module that will just
*work* with Perl 5.something?

—Kevin