[Chicago-talk] Parsing APA-format citations

Alan Mead amead at alanmead.org
Tue May 8 14:46:36 PDT 2018

Joel,

Thanks for the suggestion. That's especially true for this project,
which is book-length. And I see that zotero has a plugin for both Word
and LibreOffice (contradicting something I said earlier).

I've used zotero a bit and I think a citation manager makes a lot of
sense in many use cases (like a thesis) but in this case where I have
collaborators, they would have to agree to use it with Word. While I've
shared zotero databases with students, it would be a big process to get
my client to use it; they cannot even receive a ZIP file (because those
are insecure). And I've been on the receiving end of having to edit
manuscripts that used a unknown citation manager, and it makes a fairly
closed format even more so closed (a lot like using equation plugins).

But I agree that my solution is clumsy.

-Alan

--

Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

http://www.alanmead.org

I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe...
functions on fire in a copy of Orion.
I watched C-Sharp glitter in the dark near a programmable gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like Ruby... on... Rails... Time for Pi.

          --"The Register" user Alister, applying the famous
            "Blade Runner" speech to software development