[Chicago-talk] Parsing APA-format citations

Alan Mead amead at alanmead.org
Sun May 6 21:16:11 PDT 2018

On 5/6/2018 7:29 PM, James E Keenan wrote:
> Is it the case that there are commercial software solutions for this
> problem, but as yet no open-source solutions?

I'm not aware of any solution to which I have access, commercial or
otherwise. Most people either perform this task manually or else they
solve it in a completely different way using what is sometimes called a
"reference manager" which involves creating a database of works and
using software embedded within the word-processor to insert codes that
are expanded by the software into citations and references. I don't know
of a reference manager that works in both LibreOffice and Word, which I
would need. I also don't like this approach.

> Is this the standard you are trying to meet?
> http://www.apastyle.org/manual/index.aspx

Well, yes but I'm trying to write code that will extract in-text
citations which is a tiny portion of Chapter 6 of this document (mainly
6.11 to 6.21; there are 32 rules -- in fact, just covering 6.11 and 6.12
would be sufficient because using rules 6.13 - 6.21 is rare).

-Alan

--

Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

http://www.alanmead.org

I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe...
functions on fire in a copy of Orion.
I watched C-Sharp glitter in the dark near a programmable gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like Ruby... on... Rails... Time for Pi.

          --"The Register" user Alister, applying the famous
            "Blade Runner" speech to software development