[Chicago-talk] cpan problems in Fedora 9

Paul Mantz pcmantz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 12:35:59 PDT 2008

Fedora maintainers hold the position that you're SOL if you're trying
to install things from CPAN yourself.  You should always look to the
fedora repositories first to see if a package is available there; as
it's made specifically for your operating system, and you don't have
to worry about compiling.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Alan Mead <amead2 at alanmead.org> wrote:
> I know this isn't a Fedora mailing list but if any of use F9, I think you
> may have solved this problem and some of you may know what level of support
> Perl has in Fedora these days.
>
> I've previously used FC3 & FC4, and in F9 the cpan script is apparently
> split off as a separate rpm (which is inconvenient).  When I tried to use
> yum to install the perl-CPAN module, I get an error message "Error: Missing
> Dependency: perl = 4:5.10.0-20.fc9 is needed by package
> perl-CPAN-1.9205-20.fc9.i386 (fedora)" which is funny (ha ha) because the
> installed version of Perl is 5.10.0-31.fc9...  I don't know whether I'll
> have problems later? but I think I have solved it by manually downloading
> perl-CPAN and forcing it to be installed.
>
> I was also wondered whether anyone had a thought about whether it's better
> to use Fedora's pre-compiled modules or just use cpan?  I guess the
> pre-built DBI/DBD modules have been useful, but a lot of the modules I might
> use are not there so I've always just relied upon the cpan script in the
> past.
>
> -Alan
>
> --
> Alan D. Mead, Ph.D. Assistant Professor, Institute of Psychology
> Scientific Adviser, Center for Research and Service
> Illinois Institute of Technology
> 3101 South Dearborn, 2nd floor
> Chicago IL 60616
>
> Skype: alandmead
> +312.567.5933 (Campus)
> +815.588.3846 (Home Office)
> +312.567.3493 (Fax)
>
> http://www.iit.edu/~mead
> http://www.center.iit.edu
> http://www.alanmead.org
>
> Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief
> will help create the fact.
>  -- Henry James

Paul Mantz
http://www.mcpantz.org