[Chicago-talk] cpan problems in Fedora 9

Alan Mead amead2 at alanmead.org
Thu Sep 11 05:42:16 PDT 2008

I know this isn't a Fedora mailing list but if any of use F9, I think
you may have solved this problem and some of you may know what level of
support Perl has in Fedora these days.

I've previously used FC3 & FC4, and in F9 the cpan script is apparently
split off as a separate rpm (which is inconvenient).  When I tried to
use yum to install the perl-CPAN module, I get an error message "Error:
Missing Dependency: perl = 4:5.10.0-20.fc9 is needed by package
perl-CPAN-1.9205-20.fc9.i386 (fedora)" which is funny (ha ha) because
the installed version of Perl is 5.10.0-31.fc9...  I don't know whether
I'll have problems later? but I think I have solved it by manually
downloading perl-CPAN and forcing it to be installed.

I was also wondered whether anyone had a thought about whether it's
better to use Fedora's pre-compiled modules or just use cpan?  I guess
the pre-built DBI/DBD modules have been useful, but a lot of the modules
I might use are not there so I've always just relied upon the cpan
script in the past.

-Alan

--
Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Institute of Psychology

Skype: alandmead
+312.567.5933 (Campus)
+815.588.3846 (Home Office)
+312.567.3493 (Fax)

http://www.iit.edu/~mead
http://www.center.iit.edu
http://www.alanmead.org

Be not afraid of life.
Believe that life is worth living,
and your belief will help create the fact.
  -- Henry James