[Chicago-talk] Recruiter spam

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Thu Mar 22 22:59:00 PDT 2007

On Thursday 22 March 2007 16:17, Shawn Carroll wrote:
> It was unsoliciatated commercial email.  I have no relationship with
> this guy,  I didn' intiate the discussion.  That's spam by most
> definitions, there is no need for a diluge for it to be spam. IMHO

No, that's not what spam is.  Spam is unsolicited BULK commercial e-mail.
Bulk in this case means millions of untargeted messages.  20 messages to
different people on a mailing list is poor etiquette, but it's not spam.

FWIW, I got 3 messages about this.  One before I started at Performics, and
two after.

If you're split on whether or not to apply, consider the following perks:

 * Perl is a 'first-class' language, not a legacy thing that people constantly
make fun of.  New development is done in Perl every day; one of our core apps
is Perl.  The Perl team isn't small, either, so you'll have plenty of
opportunities to interact with lots of other Perl people.  (Our other app is
Java, and I think it's about a 50/50 split between Java and Perl.)

 * Lots of free food.  We have free lunches on Tuesday which is always quite
delicious... and food seems to show up on other days, too.

Also, benefits are a lot better than what I got at UofC, and my cost is lower.

Hope this helps more than a generic recruiting e-mail.

--
package JAPH;use Catalyst qw/-Debug/;($;=JAPH)->config(name => do {
$,.=reverse qw[Jonathan tsu rehton lre rekca Rockway][$_].[split //,