[Chicago-talk] Recruiter spam

Warren Lindsey warren.lindsey at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 20:28:12 PDT 2007

I think we all get so much spam that we start to view any unsolicited
contact as unwanted.  Email, telemarketers, coupons in the mail,
commercials on tv, product placement in movies, streetwise vendors,
and those people with the booths at the mail are all trying to
interest me in something I don't want.  People used to look forward to
the Publisher's Clearinghouse but now we just see it as more spam.

Do you want fries with that?
NO I DON'T WANT FRIES, DID I ASK FOR FRIES?

How do you make new friends if you shutdown the inbound communications
and only deal with people you know?  That's the trouble with a
recruiter, they need to establish themselves as a friend that can help
you, and then sell you what they're offering.  Right or wrong that is
why they cast so many lines out and pull so hard when they get a bite.

At least this guy is doing some work for his cut and trying to target
the right audience.  When you're happy with your job then it's spam.
When you're not happy, it's an interesting offer to entertain.  We're
just sick of it because we make ourselves so accessable to them and
it's so easy for them.

When was the last time you were solicited by a recruiter for a job
that was not technical in nature?