[Chicago-talk] What's up with Perl 6?

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Sun Dec 2 15:57:26 PST 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 17:28 -0600, Jay Strauss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the scoop with Perl 6? I was surfing the perl6 site and I see
> that Parrot still has active development, but I don't see any activity
> on the Perl 6 side.

You really need to subscribe to the mailing lists or join the IRC
channels for up-to-date information.  People are spending most of their
time working on the implementation, not updating their websites.

The Pugs blog is generally has enjoyable articles:

http://pugs.blogs.com/

> Those languages
> must compile down to their native byte code, and then there will be
> some sort of plug in bytecode converter, that will convert the native
> bytecode to something that will run on Parrot?

Nope.  A compiler targeting Parrot takes the program text as its input
and produces parrot bytecode as output.  (This is the same as javac
compiling java files into classes that run on the JVM.)

Take a look at the abc for an idea of how this sort of thing is
implemented:

https://svn.perl.org/parrot/trunk/languages/abc

This is a very simple programming language that compiles to run on
Parrot.

> Lastly, I thought there were plans to run Java upon Parrot, but I
> don't see that in the languages.  I thought I also heard a couple of
> years ago was that one would be able to write hybrid Perl/Java swing,
> compile it into Java bytecode, and run it in the JVM?  Did I hear that
> wrong, is there any movement in that type of direction?

Someone was probably working on this at some point.  dotnet is similar
and more complete:

https://svn.perl.org/parrot/trunk/languages/dotnet

Jonathan Worthington did a lot of this work, and has some good articles
on his web site:

http://www.jnthn.net/articles.shtml

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway