[Chicago-talk] Processing XSLT with Perl

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Wed Feb 11 14:15:46 CST 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 06:49:29AM -1000, Christopher Nava wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with XSLT processing in Perl?
> What module do you recommend?
>
> I need something that does XSLT transformations and is a relatively complete
> implementation.
>
> I'd LIKE something that exposes the DOM to Perl so I can do a few XPath
> searches and the like.  (But it's not required.)

The Apache AxKit [1] project uses XML::Sablotron [2] for XSLT processing. This
module is basicallying Perl bindings to the speedy Sablotron C++ library [3].
I've heard lots of good things about AxKit, and seen it being used in
production systems before.

Matt Sergeant also has a CPAN module XML::XPath which can process XPath
searches on a DOM. Matt does great work, I've used his XML::SAX package heavily,
and would recommend you check it out.

I know XML is a dirty word in some circles but I have been thinking about
offering up a talk proposal for chicago-pm on using XML data from Perl. There
are lots of modules available, and I was thinking I could provide a view from
1000 ft on parsing XML from Perl, and some practical examples of the various
module uses, including guidance on when one approach is more suitable than
another. If anyone is interested in this let me know, and I'll start
collecting stuff.

//Ed

[1] http://axkit.org/
[2] http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?XML::Sablotron
[3] http://www.gingerall.com/charlie/ga/xml/x_sabperl.xml?s=org

--
Ed Summers
aim: inkdroid

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower, Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour. [William Blake]