[Chicago-talk] straw poll

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Thu Sep 11 11:13:57 CDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 01:24:12AM -0500, Mike Fragassi wrote:
> 1) are weekend afternoons (once a month) worse or better meeting times for
> you than the current scheme of Monday evenings?

Better, I can't make Mondays.

> 2) would you come to perl presentations (ie, someone giving a structured
> talk, as we've been doing the last few months) once a month even if the
> atmosphere was more formal -- ie, in an office building instead of a bar,
> no beer, no food (unless someone brings chips or donuts), etc.?
> I.e., is the beer-factor *that* necessary?

Beer is not necessary for me. I would be happy to go to a formal mtg at a nicely
networked place, and then go for a drink afterwards with the likeminded.

> 3) are you at *all* interested in social meetings?  That is, if we
> bothered to set up 2 meetings a month, one for "tech" (i.e., the
> semi-formal tutorial presentation), and one for "social" (in a bar, with
> anything goes) -- would you be at all interested in the latter, or would
> the former do it for you for the month?  Or vice versa?

I would be up for social meetings but I think two meetings per month is too
much. Perhaps they could alternate as needed. Monday at Coogans the regular
social meeting, and occasional tech meetings at Allstate or somewhere similar. I
guess I would like to see chicago.pm doing more technical meetings rather than
relying on UniForum ... Perl is not specific to Unix afterall.

//Ed