[Cascavel-pm] Google Summer of Code + The Perl Foundation

Nelson Ferraz nferraz em gmail.com
Terça Abril 18 04:38:10 PDT 2006

Mais uma iniciativa interessante do Google.

---

Summer of Code 2006 is a program that offers student developers stipends
to create new open source programs or to help currently established
projects. Google will be working with a variety of open source, free
software, and technology-related groups to identify and fund several
hundred projects over a three-month period. The inaugural instance of
the program, which took place last summer, brought together 400 students
and 40 mentoring organizations from 49 countries. We'd like to include
even more organizations and participants this year.

The program's goals are to inspire young developers and provide students
in Computer Science and related fields the opportunity to do work
related to their academic pursuits during the summer, and to support
existing open source projects and organizations. Since we're looking to
find developers around the world (many of whom may have considered
creating open source software but havent yet taken the plunge), we felt
that concentrating on the student population was a good place to focus
our efforts. Further, since no single organization could possibly mentor
hundreds of students working on disparate projects, we thought it made
sense to spread the work throughout the open source and free software
community. We also think that the Apache Software Foundation (for
instance) knows a lot more about what an Apache project needs than
Google does and is more likely to ensure that an applicant gets the
right kind of guidance so they can create acceptable code. (...)

Google will provide a stipend of 5000 USD per accepted student
developer, of which 4500 USD goes to the student and 500 USD goes to the
mentoring organization. Youll be paid 500 USD upon acceptance of your
application to the program, 2000 USD mid-program (assuming you've made
sufficient progress on your project), and 2000 USD at close of program
(assuming you've completed your project.) The mentoring organization
will receive its share upon completion of the project.

Entre as diversas organizações participantes, está a Perl Foundation.