APM: Q from APM last night..."How to run a personal site w/o hosting?"

Michael Reddick michael.reddick at gmail.com
Thu May 14 08:08:08 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 7:56 AM, <jameschoate at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> This came up at last nights meeting of the Austin Perl
> Mongers...how to run a site (eg something.com or
> something_else.org) without using a hosting service or
> paying commercial fees.

If you want a cheap solution with guaranteed uptime on the connection and
with the versatility of doing whatever you want with the box, you can get a
VPS. I use linode.com.  It's only $20/month for their cheapest setup which
is more than enough for most people. I've been very happy with it.  You can
literally have it setup in 30 minutes. And it's an easy way to learn
sysadmin skills. I use Amazon's S3 to store encrypted backups using
duplicity. That costs about 15 cents a month.

Michael