APM: January meeting

jameschoate at austin.rr.com jameschoate at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 7 17:20:18 PST 2009

Hey,

I'd like to suggest another venue. It's called Frugal Media and
it's at 5400 N. Lamar. It's a used bookstore with plenty of
seating space and they have wireless. That's the same
building that Laboratory Computers was in.

http://www.frugalmedia.com

When I can find the business card I'll put the managers
name and phone up. I spoke with them after Christmas
and they were quite interested in hosting such activity.

As to topic, I'd like to suggest a change with regard to
the general approach to the meeting. Instead of them
being primarily a presentation mechanism I'd like to
suggest the default to be a 'problem solving' session.

There are plenty of books and websites with small
interesting problems. I just picked up a copy of
"Problems on Algorithms" by Ian Parberry. Another
good author is Pickover. I have quite a number of
these sorts of books ranging across many topics,
not just comp-sci.

Parberry's book has chapters like:

Mathematical Induction
Big-O and Big-Ohmega
Correctness Proofs
Divide and Conquor
Data Structures

A good site to take a look at is www.4share.com
as they have many books in electronic format.
Also, sites like arXiv and CiteSeer have cutting
edge papers on many topics that should be
good to whet appetites with. It's my view that
if you want to really understand what people
are working on these pre-print/e-print archives
are the place to hang out.

So, what I'm proposing is that the default for
the APM meetings is for atendees to bring
their laptop, some pen & paper, some books
or papers to share with the group. The primary
goal is to first improve problem solving, and
secondarily to write some Perl code where
appropriate.

http://www.4share.com
http://arxiv.org
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/
http://www.dmoz.org/
http://www.scribd.com/
http://openlibrary.org/
http://www.ulib.org/
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/
http://www.math-atlas.org/
http://primes.utm.edu/
http://math.nist.gov/
http://calgo.acm.org/
http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~algorith/
http://www.softsurfer.com/
http://www.algosort.com/
http://www.edge.org/
http://home.earthlink.net/~dwaha/research/machine-learning.html
http://bytes.com/
http://www.codeproject.com/
http://www.codeplex.com/
http://labs.oreilly.com/code/
http://www.thefreecountry.com/
http://www.planet-source-code.com/
http://cryptodox.com/Main_Page

---- Ian Remmler <ian at remmler.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 01:59:42AM -0600, James Choate wrote:
> > ps What is the topic for this months meeting anyway?
>
> Good question!  Another one is where and when are we meeting.
> As the newly suckered^Welected president, I guess I should
> answer them, or something.  We've traditionally met on the third
> Wednesday of the month.  Unless there is overwhelming
> opposition, I say we stick with that.
>
> As for the venue, Mangia at Gracy Farm worked well in the past.
> The room is free as long as people eat some pizza.  Genuine
> Joe's was nice, but someone will have to buy a lot of coffee
> with gift cards if we go that route.  What would really be nice
> is for some organization to let us borrow some space -
> especially if it includes the use of a projector and wifi - for
> the meetings.  Any ideas?
>
> And as for the topic - Is anyone just dieing to present on
> something in particular?  I'll admit that my main interest in
> Perl is Perl 6, and I've tended to do a talk once a year or so
> on the state thereof.  I'd be happy to do that once again if
> need be.  Other suggestions?
>
> --
>     - Ian.

Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus