APM: problems with make on DateTime-0.19

jeremy.brooks at univista.com jeremy.brooks at univista.com
Fri Dec 19 06:45:24 CST 2003

  This is not exactly a perl code question but I'm sure one of you can spot
the problem.
I'm trying to build and install DataTime.pm.  I've satisfied all the
prerequisites, as far as I can tell, but still get the following errors when
I run 'perl Makefile.PL'

Testing if you have a C compiler
make: *** No rule to make target `testub'.  Stop.

 I cannot determine if you have a C compiler
 so I will install a perl-only implementation

 You can force installation of the XS version with

    perl Makefile.PL --xs

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good

Warning: I could not locate your pod2man program. Please make sure,
         your pod2man program is in your PATH before you execute 'make'

Writing Makefile for DateTime

I do, indeed, have a compiler, gcc, which has a symlink of cc.  Also,
pod2man is in my PATH, /usr/bin/pod2man to be precise.  /usr/bin/ is in my
PATH.

If I ignore these errors and go ahead and run 'make' I get this error:

Makefile:98: *** missing separator.  Stop.

Here're lines 96-100 of the makefile:

installhtml1dir=''
installhtml3dir=''
installman1
INSTALLSITEBIN = /usr
INSTALLVENDORBIN = /usr/bin'
installvendorhtml1=''
installvendorhtml3=''

My Question is:

 What am I doing wrong or what can I do to remedy these problems and get
DateTime installed?

System:

 RH Linux 9.0 I686
 Perl 5.8
 gcc version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)
 DateTime-0.19 from cpan

thanks,
   Jeremy

PS, if this message is formatted as HTML, I apologize.  I'm stuck using a
webclient right now.