[ABE.pm] local perlmonger news

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Sun Jul 1 20:14:40 PDT 2007

On 30/06/07 20:25 -0400, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> Faber was there, and can serve as the first non-rjbs ABE.pm member to report
> back on YAPC.  Faber!  Was it as fun as I've always said?

For you, probably.  From my POV, it was okay. The social activites
were the highlight for me.  Three of the five nights I had people in my
apartment 'til the wee hours.

The talks were hit or miss. I didn't learn nearly enough as I expected.
I was hoping to walk away with techniques that I could use to improve my
coding. Maybe I went to the wrong talks, but most weren't as technical as I
expected.  Don't get me wrong, most were interesting but what I mostly
walked away with was simply the name of modules or apps to look into such as
Rose::DB and Catalyst.

There was a lot of emphasis on Perl 6 and Parrot, neither of which I am
interested in.

The Lightning Talks on the last day gave me more food for thought than
the scheduled talks.

The Master Class with Randall was a waste of time and money. (Granted, I
missed the first day of class cuz I was up 'til 3 AM the night before
but still...) For the first class, he read the slides which were just
bullet points of the Best Practices book; there was no value-add that I
could see. For the second he went over basic stuff about persistent data
(files, databases, etc.) that even I knew; the only thing I got out of
that was learning about the existence of Rose::DB and the fact that the
audience had alot more practical experience with (enterprise-level)
databases than he had.

The University of Houston was a disappointment. The young college babes
were a pleasure to look at but the place was dead; no coffee shops with
interesting conversations, no underground music scene, etc.

I would (and will) do it again, but I'm going to temper my expectations
next time.

> (Did you see any of my talks?  I can't recall.)

I didn't understand your talks when you explained them at McGrady's, so I
wasn't going to magically understand them in Houston. :-) So, no, I
didn't attend either of your talks.

> There's a Perl Workshop in Pittsburgh in October.  It's like a 1.5 day YAPC
> held on the weekend.  I'm hoping to get out there.  Anybody else interested?
>
>   http://pghpw.org/ppw2007/

That looks promising.  It's also an excuse to visit the old
neighborhood. Let's see what the talks will be about.

Faber Fedor
President
Linux New Jersey, Inc.
908-320-0357