is this list still a main thing?

Todd Rinaldo toddr at cpanel.net
Wed May 20 09:04:30 PDT 2015

> On May 20, 2015, at 9:25 AM, John SJ Anderson via yapc <yapc at pm.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 11:30 PM, Uri Guttman via yapc <yapc at pm.org <mailto:yapc at pm.org>> wrote:
>
> i am glad the list got some volume finally. i think i saw a mention that yapc registrants are not automatically added to this list.
>
> Attendees are no longer automatically added to this list. That was a decision made based on the overwhelming preference of past attendees. There is an announcement-only list that people are still added to, but it is intended for very infrequent usage, involving critical announcements that really do need to go to everybody attending. (And before you ask, no, the arrival dinner arrangements don't, IMO, qualify as "critical".)

To follow on to john's explanation,

I maintain the script that auto-subscribes people to the announce mailing list. The script will add someone to the list if
1. They've never been added in the past
2. They've registered for the current YAPCNA in ACT.

They get the following email template when they are added to the announce mailing list.

-------

As a result of having registered for YAPC 2015 in Salt Lake City, UT, you have been added to the <announce email addy here> mailing list. This list is used to disseminate information about the upcoming conference. We will send you no more than 1 email per day with information you can use to better plan your trip.

Finally, if you don’t want these announcements you can click on the link below to immediately unsubscribe.

http://mail.pm.org/mailman/options/yapc/${email_fourty}?unsub=1&unsubconfirm=1

------

Before you ask, no I won't share the code publicly because the script is trivial and totally useless without the data file of all the emails previously added. It also requires admin access to the YAPCNA ACT instance and the mailing list. It would be inappropriate for me to share the email list.

Hope that helps,
Todd