is this list still a main thing?

John SJ Anderson genehack at genehack.org
Wed May 20 07:25:48 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 11:30 PM, Uri Guttman via yapc <yapc at pm.org> wrote:

> i am glad the list got some volume finally. i think i saw a mention that
> yapc registrants are not automatically added to this list.

Attendees are no longer automatically added to this list. That was a
decision made based on the overwhelming preference of past attendees. There
is an announcement-only list that people are still added to, but it is
intended for very infrequent usage, involving critical announcements that
really do need to go to everybody attending. (And before you ask, no, the
arrival dinner arrangements don't, IMO, qualify as "critical".)

(Also, as somebody who sees the subscribe/unsubscribe notifications, I can
tell you the frequency of the latter are directly correlated with the
posting volume on the list. Seeing quite a few of them in the past couple
days...)

anyhoo, i just wanted to make sure i can reach and annoy all yapc people
> and not only those who want to be annoyed.

You're currently only reaching people that have not yet opted out of being
annoyed by you. You'll have to wait until you're in SLC for the opportunity
to annoy all YAPC people.

chrs,
john,
yapc list mom and general purveyor of informations