is this list still a main thing?

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Wed May 20 09:22:45 PDT 2015

On 05/20/2015 10:25 AM, John SJ Anderson via yapc wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 11:30 PM, Uri Guttman via yapc <yapc at pm.org
> <mailto:yapc at pm.org>> wrote:
>
>     i am glad the list got some volume finally. i think i saw a
>     mention that yapc registrants are not automatically added to this
>     list.
>

> Attendees are no longer automatically added to this list. That was a
> decision made based on the overwhelming preference of past attendees.
> There is an announcement-only list that people are still added to, but
> it is intended for very infrequent usage, involving critical
> announcements that really do need to go to everybody attending. (And
> before you ask, no, the arrival dinner arrangements don't, IMO,
> qualify as "critical".)

bah, humbug! then how is one to communicate with the attendees? the
dinner stuff may be the only threads now but in the past there were
plenty of yapc related discussions. how would you publicize an event or
a bof or discuss some scandalous breaking of rules?

> (Also, as somebody who sees the subscribe/unsubscribe notifications, I
> can tell you the frequency of the latter are directly correlated with
> the posting volume on the list. Seeing quite a few of them in the past
> couple days...)

wow. and those who unsubscribe want to be at yapc with even more noise
but less communication?

are yapc attendees really using facebook and twitter vs mail these days?
proprietary locked in systems vs an open and free one? yow.