RFC: YAPC Code of conduct up on github?

Jason Van Patten jvp at bluehost.com
Mon Mar 25 09:30:56 PDT 2013

Pardon my impertinence, as this is my first year attending YAPC, but it
seems to me that situations similar to to what happened at PYCON are not
a new problem. Discrimination is a very old, albeit ugly, habit for
humans. While we may not be able to control who attends or even who
agrees with the CoC, even if we do have it on github, one thing is
certain an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Recent studies have shown that focus on the punitive reactions to
repugnant behavior is less effective at repressing that behavior than
promotion of positive behavior. Perhaps it would behoove the community
to establish a protocol for the recognition of admirable actions in a
very public way. In effect create incentive for companies who send
employees to conferences to encourage dignified behavior for a shot at
getting their name promoted instead of the socially deplorable
affiliation achieved by the employers of certain attendees of PYCON.

If nothing else a small trophy to extol the virtues of the wisdom
conscious, out of the box thinking, that Perl embodies would be, i
think, a welcome contrast to the relatively rigid and reactionary nature
that has thus far been demonstrated by the Python advocates to the
programming world in general.

It's not that we really need to remind people of Perl's superiority, but
it is fun to do.

Jason Van Patten