[yapc] Missing subcribers

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Fri May 25 10:03:14 PDT 2012

On 05/25/2012 09:38 AM, Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 08:04:29AM -0500, JT Smith wrote:
>> Next year when you run YAPC::NA feel free to spam everybody you want. I, however, think that mailing lists should be opt-in and therefore refuse to auto-subscribe everyone.

we have always autosubscribed attendees to the list and it is not an
optin/optout issue. many attendees are first timers and don't know about
the mailing list. even if they were notified by the web site when they
bought their pass, many would not see it. no one has ever complained
about the autosubscribe in 10 years. attending yapc is a community thing
and we did lots of communication on the list. this is why i am seeing
such a low response to the arrival dinner, many of the attendees are not
seeing the emails. this has to be changed IMO and even fixed now. this
is not spamming at all. if you want your blogs and posts to be seen by
all interested parties, then subscribe all of the attendees now while we
have 2 weeks left before yapc. other than you and a bit from me, this
list is dead. it has been a very lively place in past yapcs and that was
only because of the autosubscribe.

> Maybe the daily spam would be better on a separate list?

fine with me but again, autosubscribe all the attendees. knowing about
the various talks like this is good. it reminds people about talks they
might want to see and without having to keep rereading the schedule and
clicking on each talk to get its blurb.

having a list with few on it is a waste. you have 400 attendees and this
list should be a prime way for them and you to communicate. the wiki is
also a dead space because no one knows it is there. 2 bofs scheduled so
far? unheard of before. that is a direct result of not autosubscribing.
i repeat, no one has ever said autosubscribe to the yapc list was
spamming. it was considered a nice service.