[yapc] Pre-conference dinner, Sunday June 26

Chris Prather chris at prather.org
Wed Jun 15 17:14:47 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM, James E Keenan <jkeen at verizon.net> wrote:
> Normally, at this time of year, this list is ablaze with pre-YAPC
> discussion, most of it focused on the question of:  What shall we do for the
> Arrivals Dinner the night before the conference begins?
>
> In past years, this dinner has been organized by the Social Czar, except
> when it has not.  Searching through my memory banks, I recall:
>
> Buffet in Boca Raton
> Buffalo wings at the Anchor Bar in the eponymous city
> Chinese on Spadina Ave in Toronto
> Goose Island brewpub in Chicago
> Barbecue in Houston
> [something else] in Chicago
> Ethiopian in Pittsburgh
> Bar with stand-up food in Columbus
>
> (Corrections welcome.  Did we do this prior to 2003?)
>
> Also, in past years there has usually been an Anti-Arrivals Dinner attended
> by the vegetarians, vegans, and other non-carnivorous folk.
>
> I haven't seen any discussion of this on this list so far, and I couldn't
> find anything on the wiki.  So I just created an entry on this wiki page:
> http://www.yapc2011.us/yn2011/wiki?node=PreConferenceActivities.  (If
> there's a better place to conduct that discussion or do that planning,
> carp.)

That (and this) is exactly the place to organize it.

> So, do we have suggestions of a place that could accommodate 50-100 people
> in Asheville at 6:00 pm on Sunday June 26.

The LAB, Jack of Green (which serves vegan food) and a few other
places in town could probably accomodate that many people. How formal
are people looking for here? I'm under the impression that they're
fairly informal affairs. I can have an organizer call up a place or
two and warn them that people may be attending.

-Chris