[Yapc-na-organizers] YAPC Guests?

Jim Brandt cbrandt at buffalo.edu
Tue Oct 7 04:44:23 PDT 2008

In my experience, the host committee creates a list of well known Perl
people they would like to invite to speak and sends out the invitations.
The earlier you can do this the better since they are often in demand
for other events and might book something else. We've talked about
extending the personal invitations beyond keynote-level speakers to try
to make sure strong speaker submit talks, but I don't know how deep the
past few organizers have gone.

As far as helping with costs, I think that will depend on your budget
and resources. The Perl speakers are amazing in that they often attend
many events paying expenses out of their pocket. The conference
attendance fee is waived, usually for all speakers. Anything you can do
beyond that would be welcome, but not necessarily expected. If you are
looking for precedent, most speakers have not received help in the past.

To muddy the waters a bit, we have been funding travel for hackathons.
So if a hackathon is attached to YAPC, you might consider submitting a
proposal for travel help for the attached hackathon. That might be one
way to help with costs.

Jim