[Yapc-na-organizers] YAPC Guests?

Richard Dice rdice at pobox.com
Sat Oct 4 05:56:52 PDT 2008

At YAPC in Toronto the hotel I booked with gave me 1 free room for every 20
that I booked with my group.  So that ended up being a pool of about 8 rooms
I could comp people with.  I don't have a firm memory of who I comped.
Larry was one of them.  I was comped as was I think 1 other organizing
person -- I needed to be on call 24 hours a day, he was the head AV guy and
lived about 70 miles outside of the city.

"Speakers of special interest & need" is a good rule for comping of hotel
rooms or providing other kinds of help.  These are people who go to a _lot_
of conferences (as a lot of people want to see them talk) but who aren't
generally funded by another entity to do so.  And their open source
involvements often mean they have to crimp their own money-earning potential
in order to serve their open source efforts more fully.  (Allison, Audrey,
Damian are prime examples.)

Perl is a community, which means it is communitarian.  It's a good thing to
help people who are members of the community who are in need (in the context
of YAPC and no doubt other contexts too).

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
 - Richard