[Yapc-na-organizers] Sponsorship ideas (was "Re: Tasks"

Bob Clancy bob.clancy at verizon.net
Mon Sep 18 10:59:02 PDT 2006

>From: Pete Krawczyk <petek at bsod.net>
>This was a precondition last year of participating in the job fair, and it
>worked so well that we had companies sponsoring *during* YAPC just to get
>involved with it.

Ok Pete, next question:  What was the minimum level
of sponsorship to quality for the Job Fair?  (My gut
feeling is at least $250.)

Information from Pete (YAPC::NA,

  Platinum - $5,000 or more
  Gold - $1,000 to $4,999
  Silver - $100 to $999
  Auction - Item(s) Value

I'd also consider giving lower thresholds to a given "level" of sponsorship if Houston find out that they need money to put a deposit down on something.  (Ie:  another group wants to book during our time, and has up-front cash, then UH would probably demand a deposit from us at that time.)  I'm not sure how nice/mean the  UH conference folks are, but Northeastern U in Boston wanted something like 1/3 of room rental up front at the time of the contract signing.

Given the idea of changing the thresholds, I'd change the lower boundary for "silver" to $250 perhaps 1 week before the conference so that last minute job fair participants would kick in more cash.

Can we get a minimum of $500 and still have people partipate in the job fair?

Pete:  Am I off base here?  (I'm sure you guys made the rules as you went along, right?)

-- Bob