[Yapc-na-organizers] Getting volunteers started

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Fri Sep 8 05:18:57 PDT 2006

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 03:44:44 -0500
"Jeremy Fluhmann" <jeremy at msc.tamu.edu> wrote:

> > How should we get volunteers started?
> > Do we want to point people to this list and do all of the organizing here?
>
> I was going to ask the same thing about whether or not we should post the
> link to join to the pm list.
>
> > I'm not sure I want to publish this list info on the main list for fear of
> > swamping it with SPAM or opinions of people who don't plan to help.
> > (houston at pm.org is a mostly open list and can be read by non-members
> > through services like gmane.com.)
>
> I believe Jim mentioned to me that this list is publicly viewable as well.
> Maybe we can actually add the link to join to the 'Volunteers' section of
> the wiki: http://yapchouston.org/wiki/wiki.cgi/Volunteers.  Then, send out a
> message to the lists directing those interested in volunteering to the
> Volunteers page of the wiki (again ;-) ).  Alternatively, we could just tell
> people to add their contact info to the wiki and let them know that we'll
> send them the link directly.  I'll send an e-mail to John Lightsey (from the
> Volunteers page) about the link.

I like the idea of adding the info to the wiki and directing people on the
list to it. If you aren't willing to step through those two simple steps, you
probably won't be willing to work.

> Worst case, we can probably modify permissions on the list to be more
> strict.

Sounds reasonable, if we need it.

G. Wade
--
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters
will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the