[Van-pm] Tech Meeting, 12th February 2009 @ Sophos

Scott McWhirter scott+vancouver.pm at konobi.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 15:35:29 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 15:29, Scott McWhirter
<scott+vancouver.pm at konobi.co.uk> wrote:
>> I have also set up a LinkedIn Vancouver Perl Mongers group available here:
>> http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1756057
>
> We also have another speaker at the February meeting!
>
> * Phil Whelan - "POE - the basics"
>    My experiences using it, and other event based systems in Perl.
>
> Speaker background:
>
> Phil - originates from the UK where he started his Perl life in 1998
> working on Library systems for a company called Talis, before jumping
> in the dotcom bubble with Jungle.com... which burst. Spent sometime
> building C++ apps, then back to the web and Perl with Livedoor.com in
> Japan, BBC in London, and now MailChannels in Vancouver. Currently a
> core developer on MailChannels' SMTP proxy, Traffic Control.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go for post-meeting beers?

Since no-one has made any suggestions for beer, I'm going to delcare
beer at Smiley O'Neals (http://www.smileyonealspub.com/) which is at
West Pender and Hornby (google map: http://xrl.us/befbxf). It's beside
the days inn hotel there and has a small set of doors that's easy to
miss.

Stas Bekman has also given me a bunch of perl, development and
business books which are available for anyone to take. I'll be
bringing them along to the meeting. Any which aren't taken will go to
freegeek or goodwill. Thanks Stas!

Several people have gotten back to me to say that they are coming
along. Thanks to those who have and I'd ask that more people let me
know, so I can estimate which room/meeting room we'll need to use at
the Sophos office.

thanks!

--
-Scott McWhirter- | -konobi-