[Van-pm] Tech Meeting, 12th February 2009 @ Sophos

Scott McWhirter scott+vancouver.pm at konobi.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 15:29:21 PST 2009

> Hi All,
>
> The first meeting of 2009 will be held at Sophos on 12th February at 7pm.
>
> There are currently 3 talks lined up:
>
> * Scott McWhirter - "Perl, mongers and more"
>     Quick talk about what's new and interesting in the perl world. Quick Q&A session about perl mongers.
>
> * Luke Closs - "Git backed up"
>     Using git, Perl and OCaml to develop a backup solution.
>
> * TBC
>     I have someone lined up, but just waiting on confirmation. Will send another mail when confirmed.
>
> If anyone has a quick 10-20 minute talk they would like to do, please feel free to let me know.
>
> Sophos have graciously offered space for our meeting. Their office is at 580 Granville Street in downtown Vancouver (Google map: http://xrl.us/beco9t). If people can let me know if they are coming I can let Sophos know how much space we require.
>
> Background on speakers:
>
> Scott - Local Vancouver contractor and consultant at Cloudtone Studios. Scott has been developing using Perl since 1998 and has been an active and contributing member of the perl community for many years. Scott also hails from former perl monger memberships at Belfast.pm and London.pm.
>
> Luke - Local Vancouver perl hacker and juggler at large. Luke develops software for wiki group Socialtext and is active with groups such as Vancouver hackspace, FreeGeek and is the maintainer for the perl bindings for Selenium RC. Luke also organizes impromtu "super happy dev house" hacking sessions (more on that when we hear from him).
>
> I have also set up a LinkedIn Vancouver Perl Mongers group available here:
> http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1756057

We also have another speaker at the February meeting!

* Phil Whelan - "POE - the basics"
    My experiences using it, and other event based systems in Perl.

Speaker background:

Phil - originates from the UK where he started his Perl life in 1998
working on Library systems for a company called Talis, before jumping
in the dotcom bubble with Jungle.com... which burst. Spent sometime
building C++ apps, then back to the web and Perl with Livedoor.com in
Japan, BBC in London, and now MailChannels in Vancouver. Currently a
core developer on MailChannels' SMTP proxy, Traffic Control.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go for post-meeting beers?

thanks!

--
-Scott McWhirter- | -konobi-