[Tallahassee-pm] Back on the wagon

Tillman, James JamesTillman at fdle.state.fl.us
Thu May 29 13:23:59 CDT 2003

Heh, heh.  Welcome back, errant Jedi knight!  We won't fault you for falling
to the dark side.

By the way:  PHP has added Perl5-compliant regular expressions to the
language, so now you can feel intimidated in both languages!

Frankly, PHP borrows so much from Perl's syntax and features, it should be
an easy transition from one to the other.  I've actually learned PHP by
fixing other people's bugs, never having cracked a book on it.

There's a great book from O'Reilly called "Mastering Regular Expressions".
I'd recommend getting a trial subscription to O'Reilly Safari (if you
haven't already), and read that book.  You can use RegExps in many places,
including many popular programmer's text editors, in Java (there are now 3
implementations in Java), Javascript on the client-side of all major web
browsers, and God-only-knows-where-else.  Once you learn 'em, you'll wonder
how you ever did without 'em.

jpt