[Tallahassee-pm] PAR works, and it's easy

Tillman, James JamesTillman at fdle.state.fl.us
Tue Jul 1 09:58:57 CDT 2003

We talked about PAR at our last PerlMongers meeting.  It rocks.  I just took
a perl script that connects to the Win32 registry and starts up an SSH
connection through a system() call, and compiled it like this:

pp -o program.exe program.pl

The resulting program.exe fits on a floppy and runs on any Win32 PC with no
perl installed.  I can't believe this is free!  (or that it works, for that
matter...)

Apparently, there's lots more to PAR than just compiling to EXE, also.  It
works similar to Java's JAR and lets you package up entire sets of modules
into a single distributable file.  Cool stuff.

You can find out about PAR at:
http://search.cpan.org/~autrijus/PAR/lib/PAR/Intro.pod

search.cpan.org is also a good way to explore what CPAN offers.

jpt

James Tillman
Advanced Systems Design
FDLE Webmaster