[Tallahassee-pm] Oops. Forgot some news!

Keller, Scott ScottKeller at fdle.state.fl.us
Fri Feb 7 07:37:53 CST 2003

Jamie,

That all sounds great! Have we decided when and where the first meeting is?

FWIW, here's my Safari review:
problem I have with the individual subscription is that you can pay almost
as much as a corporate subscriber (as I currently do, paying $30 a month
versus a yearly corporate subscription that starts at a $35 equivalent), yet
have to maintain a "personal library" of a certain number of books (my $30
level allows me to keep 30 books and change them out for other books in the
Safari library 1 month after I subscribe to them). The corporate
subscription, on the other hand, gives you unlimited access to the over 1000
books currently available.

I've heard some say that they don't like to read books online. I can tell
these folks haven't tried Safari. Certainly, I wouldn't read a book cover to
cover online. The nature of programming; however, is that you often need
only one or two key chapters in many different books. The Safari
subscription allows you to easily find these key chapters by virtue of the
search functions. In addition, any code samples can easily be copied and
pasted for quick trial without worrying about loading a CD, etc. Finally,
because it is on the web, all these books are available to you whereever you
happen to be, as long as you have a display and a connection to the
internet. That beats carrying around 50 pounds of books, only to find that
you left the one you really needed back at the office.

Have a good one,

Scott