SPUG: version numbers and MakeMaker

Tye McQueen tyemq at cpan.org
Thu Jan 15 18:17:59 PST 2009

I would discourage using version numbers that aren't numbers and that don't
sort properly when treated as strings (which means a fixed number of digits
per component).  version.pm tries to deal with some of the problems caused
by such attempts but it still isn't a perfect solution.

My version numbers are usually like 1.001, 1.01_001, or 1.001_001 and I skip
subversion numbers that are multiples of ten.  So version numbers jump from
1.01_019 to 1.01_021.  I also leave enough digits per component such that
the leading 0 almost never gets incremented.

Note that

    our $VERSION= 1.02_013;

is exactly the same as

    our $VERSION= 1.02013;

the underscore disappears from the value and is only apparent in the source
code.