SPUG: version numbers and MakeMaker

Christopher Howard choward at indicium.us
Thu Jan 15 17:44:36 PST 2009

I'm creating my first Makefile.PL, and had a question: There is one
key/value pair for the version number. I have seen it like this in
examples:

VERSION => 1.4,

But if the version number of my app is, say 0.1.2, what should the line
look like?

VERSION => '0.1.2',

or

VERSION => 0.001.002

Or does it even matter? I'm inclined toward '0.1.2' because I prefer that,
and when I tried it with make dist the archive name came out looking the
way I prefer.

You know, if I ever get really good at MakeMaker, I think I'm going to
volunteer to update the documentation with lots of examples. =]

--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us