SPUG: version numbers and MakeMaker

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Tue Jan 20 16:17:06 PST 2009

On Jan 15, 2009, at 5:44 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:

> I'm creating my first Makefile.PL, and had a question: There is one
> key/value pair for the version number. I have seen it like this in
> examples:

On a related note: How do folks handle letting Subversion integrate
here?  I know you asked a question about Perl's $VERSION, but I've
seen folks integrate it with Subversion's Revision keyword.

I've seen an idiom like this.  It needs to allow svn to replace
'$Revision$', but also be OK Perl that sets $VERSION, and can fit on
one line.

     our($VERSION) = ('$Revision$' =~ m/Revision:\s*(\d+)/);

Any other idioms?  What's your favorite?

Or don't you mix Version (e.g. 1.0, 1.1, 2.0) with revisions (2, 3, 4,
5)?

--
Michael R. Wolf
     All mammals learn by playing!