SPUG: version numbers and MakeMaker

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Tue Jan 20 16:17:06 PST 2009

On Jan 15, 2009, at 5:44 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:

> I'm creating my first Makefile.PL, and had a question: There is one
> key/value pair for the version number. I have seen it like this in
> examples:

On a related note: How do folks handle letting Subversion integrate
here?  I know you asked a question about Perl's $VERSION, but I've
seen folks integrate it with Subversion's Revision keyword.

I've seen an idiom like this.  It needs to allow svn to replace
'$Revision$', but also be OK Perl that sets $VERSION, and can fit on
one line.

     our($VERSION) = ('$Revision$' =~ m/Revision:\s*(\d+)/);

Any other idioms?  What's your favorite?

Or don't you mix Version (e.g. 1.0, 1.1, 2.0) with revisions (2, 3, 4,

Michael R. Wolf
     All mammals learn by playing!
         MichaelRWolf at att.net