SPUG: Framework talks into video files

John Costello cos at indeterminate.net
Wed Mar 12 19:45:33 PDT 2008

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Michael R. Wolf wrote:

> A long time ago, I taped 3 hours of framework talks.  I promised to get the
> data back to this list.  I even got some volunteers to help.  I've got the
> camera owner and her disc burner poised to go.
>
> In the mean time, I have a few questions.
>
> 1. What format would be best after extraction from the mini-DV tapes?
>   - AVI
>   - MPEG2

AVI, but for no good reason.

> 2. How can the 3 hours be blocked into reasonable (for some to-be-determined
> definition of reasonable) chunks?

Break into related talks, or sequence of talks, or 3-4 talks.  Aim for
50MB per download?

> 3. Is any other post-processing necessary?
>
> 4. Where can the files be hosted?

I'd suggest youtube, blip.tv, or some similar place, as they have the
bandwidth and storage.  This assumes that the people in the talks are ok
with having them uploaded to those sites.  (blip.tv comes to mind because
Dave Cross' BBC teach-in slides were posted there; see
<http://perltv.com/delicious.html> which has a pile of perl videos.)

> 5. What format is best to host?  Is that downloadable, streamable, or both?

Both would be nice.  Even MP3 tied to a podcast would be nice.

----
KiBo: The Speed of HappyNet