SPUG: JOB: Web Dev Manager - WhitePages.com
jobs-noreply at seattleperl.org
Tue Jan 29 14:14:54 PST 2008
Web Development Manager
Physical Location: 1301 Fifth Ave, Suite 1600 map
Seattle, WA 98101
Company's Product: WhitePages.com provides a simple, fast and reliable
way to find personal and business contact information
online, and via web-enabled mobile devices. We also
power the white pages of several leading websites and
Our Mission: To be the single best source for finding information to contact people.
Contact Information: jcaggiano at whitepages.com
Job Incentives: Bonus Plan and Stock Incentives
Contact: Initially through recruiters and then with other company staff
What it's all about:
As Development Manager you'll be responsible for managing a 6-10 person
development team within the Product Development Department, crafting the
company's Internet-based product. As Dev Manager, you'll manage your
team to maximize both short- and long-term productivity and career
satisfaction. In addition, you will:
- Manage and facilitate the relationships between Development staff and
other departments, particularly Product Management, Quality
Assurance, and Operations.
- Work with Product Management, Developers, Quality Assurance, and
Operations to establish project objectives and schedules.
- Manage development projects, including assigning work, monitoring
schedules, solving and/or elevating issues, and providing
constant communication both within the project team and to other
- Provide managerial and process leadership both within and without the
- As necessary, assist in the design and development of the business
unit's product suite, with occasional coding in Perl and/or our other
- Identify and recruit experienced and high-value potential employees
- Design, implement, and oversee predictable development processes to
measure and maintain quality standards, controls, and procedures.
- Mentor, motivate and lead development staff.
- Manage and facilitate relationships between development staff and
- Establish, maintain, and improve Product Development processes and
- Establish, manage, and meet Product Development schedules.
- Ensure that Development staff understand and meet projects, business
- Identify and recruit experienced and high-value potential employees.
- As necessary, write high-performance code containing minimal bugs
according to business and IT resource requirements.
- As necessary, create and maintain high-quality documentation of all
relevant specifications, systems, and procedures.
- Participate/ Lead Hiring, performance Reviews
- Participate in Salary reviews and adjustments
- Coaching, mentoring and counseling
- Team building
- Expense report approval, time and resource management
What you'll need to bring:
- BS degree in a computer-oriented technical discipline or equivalent
- 7+ years experience in technology, including 3+ years product
development management or leadership.
- Superior people skills - the focus of this position is maximizing the
effectiveness of a team.
- Assertive individual with a high-energy level. Entrepreneurial in
nature, willing to take responsibility for product success.
- Excellent project, resource, and requirements management skills.
- Ability to manage and maintain multiple projects simultaneously,
satisfying multiple constituencies, while still keeping overall
corporate goals in mind.
- Experience in technology product development, preferably with online
- Experience working in an Open Source environment, including the use
of Perl, Apache, Linux, CVS, Bugzilla, etc.
- Thorough understanding of, and experience with, various Product
Development Life Cycles.
- Deep and broad background in software development with hands-on
experience in various SDLCs (Software Development Life Cycles),
system architectures, programming languages, relational databases,
Internet technologies, and system development methodologies
- Strong business aptitude, including an understanding of the financial
aspects of the business.
- Analytical skills, able to creatively and explore multiple avenues,
and move abstract concepts to implementation.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to provide leadership and influence peers in a team
environment and effectively establish positive inter-department
relationships. Proven ability to effectively communicate with
different levels of staff and external contacts.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project)
- Excellent knowledge of object-oriented design practices.
- Experience implementing database-driven, web-based applications.
- Knowledge of Apache and mod_perl.
- Experience with HTML and XML
- Proven track record in all of the above.
search. find. connect.
jcaggiano at whitepages.com
More information about the spug-list