SPUG: JOB: Dev Manager - WhitePages.com
jobs-noreply at seattleperl.org
Tue Jan 29 14:14:38 PST 2008
Development Manager Job Description
Physical Location: 1301 Fifth Ave, Suite 1600 map
Seattle, WA 98101
Company's Product: WhitePages.com provides a simple, fast and reliable
way to find personal and business contact information
online, and via web-enabled mobile devices. We also
power the white pages of several leading websites and
Our Mission: To be the single best source for finding information to contact people.
Contact Information: jcaggiano at whitepages.com
Job Incentives: Bonus Plan and Stock Incentives
Contact: Initially through recruiters and then with other company staff
1. Job Overview
The Development Manager is responsible for leading 6-12 member
technical teams and is responsible for overseeing architecture
direction and development for new and existing products. Assists
project management and product owners to meet time/cost objectives.
Councils and mentors team members and conducts performance
evaluations and career planning. Analyzes and refines practices and
process to ensure team produces documented, high-quality, stable and
high-performance applications for WhitePages.com.
2. Job Responsibilities
a. Duties and Responsibilities
- Be a role model to the team.
- Facilitate effective team interaction.
- Keep team well informed of changes within the organization.
- Set team expectations and enforce coding standards and best practices.
- Encourage team to make and keep commitments.
- Work with others to establish project objectives, estimates and schedules.
- Manage development projects, including assigning work, monitoring
schedules, solving and/or elevating issues, and providing
constant communication both within the project team and to other
- Manage and facilitate relationships between development staff and
- Provide managerial leadership within the organization.
- Assist in establishing, maintenance, and improvement of Product
Development processes and procedures.
- Ensure team understands and meets business project objectives and
- As necessary, assist in development.
b. Management Responsibilities
The Development Manager will have line management responsibilities, including:
- Recruit experienced, high-value employees
- Performance Reviews
- Career planning
- Participate in salary reviews and adjustments
- Coaching and mentoring
- Team building
- Expense report approval
- Time and resource management
- Manage difficult personnel situations and tactfully communicate
3. Position Complexities and Conditions of Employment (Position demands
that may apply, such as overnight shift work, daily and over-night
travel requirements, high level of responsibilities with high-impact
to the organization.
- Outlined in responsibilities and competencies.
4. Job Competencies
a) Technical knowledge, skills and abilities (Minimum required
education, experience and specialized skills unique to this
- BS degree in a computer-oriented technical discipline or equivalent
- 7+ years experience in technology, including 3+ years product
development management or leadership.
- Superior people skills - the focus of this position is maximizing the
effectiveness of a team.
- Assertive individual with a high-energy level. Entrepreneurial in
nature, willing to take responsibility for product success.
- Excellent project, resource, and requirements management skills.
- Ability to manage and maintain multiple projects simultaneously,
satisfying multiple constituencies, while still keeping overall
corporate goals in mind.
- Experience in technology product development, preferably with online
- Experience working in an Open Source environment, including the use
of Perl, Apache, Linux, CVS, Bugzilla, etc.
- Thorough understanding of, and experience with, various Product
Development Life Cycles.
- Deep and broad background in software development with hands-on
experience in various SDLCs (Software Development Life Cycles),
system architectures, programming languages, relational databases,
Internet technologies, and system development methodologies
- Strong business aptitude, including an understanding of the financial
aspects of the business.
- Analytical skills, able to creatively and explore multiple avenues,
and move abstract concepts to implementation.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to provide leadership and influence peers in a team
environment and effectively establish positive inter-department
relationships. Proven ability to effectively communicate with
different levels of staff and external contacts.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project)
- Excellent knowledge of scripting languages such as Perl and
- Experience implementing database-driven, web-based applications and
client/server, internet system architectures.
- Understands browser / client specific compatibility issues.
- Knowledge of Apache and mod_perl.
- Experience with HTML and CSS.
- Knowledge of XML and XSLT.
- Possesses demonstrated work experience with relevant technologies.
- Proven track record in all of the above.
b) Behavioral competencies
- Leadership - Focuses on doing whatever must be done to produce
the best near and long-term results for the company; communicates
and supports near-term company direction and long-term vision for
the future; provides a strong and positive role model and leads
- staffing/Hiring - Determines appropriate resources and develops
hiring plan to achieve departmental goals; works with recruiting
as an active participant in the hiring process to achieve hiring
plan; evaluates qualifications of candidates and successfully
determines if a candidate's skills and qualifications meet the
job. Takes the time to hire the people capable of best succeeding
in our culture; successfully trains and on-boards new employees to
reduce employee turnover
- Managing and Supervision - Effectively defines team goals and
supports achievement of those goals by organizing people and
resources; acknowledges and understand his/her role in developing the
team to achieve its successes; communicates and encourages the team
and individuals to high performance standards; sets clear
expectations; delegates tasks and responsibility, empowers others to
make decisions and achieve results; fosters accountability to ensure
achievement of goals.
- Coaching and development - Strives to develop and improve skills of
direct reports by identifying areas of performance strengths and
development opportunities; provides ongoing coaching to develop,
mentor or counsel employees; provides ongoing feedback and is
diligent in following up when improvements or additional feedback is
needed; takes timely and appropriate action to address performance
issues. Provides on the job development opportunities; develops
employees into positions in which they can succeed.
- Rewards and recognition - Gives credit to employees and other team
members through verbal feedback, public acknowledgement and formal
recognition program; makes compensation decisions in line with
compensation plan to reward employees based on performance and
- Interpersonal Skills - Demonstrates competence at promoting
cooperation and building team spirit; checks in with others in the
organization and builds bonds by demonstrating an ability to find
common ground and build rapport, recognizes that nothing important
gets done alone or in a silo; fosters the value of relationships and
gets along well with others, even during times of conflict.
- Problem solving - Seeks to understand why problems exist, is thorough
in gathering information and works to facilitate open dialog with
impacted groups and/or people to understand root causes, resolve
problems and prevent recurrences
- Employee Empowerment - Provides the tools and resources for employees
to resolve problems; proactively anticipates and eliminates potential
obstacles that prevent assignments from being completed on time and
with high quality; encourages others to identify problems and works
with them to create a process to resolve.
search. find. connect.
jcaggiano at whitepages.com
More information about the spug-list