SPUG: Perl alert system which will call me

Peter Darley pdarley at kinesis-cem.com
Fri Aug 30 16:04:10 CDT 2002

Aaron (and others),
	What I'm wanting is that when there is a problem I get a call.  When I pick
up the phone I hear my own sweet pre recorded voice saying, 'The web server
can't be pinged.' or 'The web server returns an unexpected result for web
page X' or 'Can't ping the database server' or 'The database server returns
an unexpected count of records' or 'Can't ping outside world' or whatever.
	This looks easy to do using a 'voice modem' and the Modem::Vgetty module to
handle the alert part (Looks like probably 10 lines of code).  Tho I'm far
too lazy for this, one could even use it to interactively perform other
tests based on what buttons on the phone you pressed, etc.
	I'll assume from everyone's responses that they don't know of anything that
does this.

	If anyone cares there are some good reasons that this is better than a
pager. :)  They are as follows:
	1)  I can get the system to call one or more of my business partners who
are not system admins and who won't want to carry a pager.
	2)  When I'm at my house I won't need to carry a pager around with me all
the time.  I can be sure that I'll hear the phone, and won't have to keep
track of any little beeping boxes.
	3)  I'm not sure, but I suspect that the phone is more likely to wake me
than a pager (but like I said, I don't have a pager, so I don't know)
	4)  It's not dependant on the network in any way, which means that I can
run it on a machine inside our network and even if the pipe to the wider
world is down it can still report
	5) I already own all necessary equipment, and don't need to deal with the
phone company to get text messaging set up on my cell phone (I hate dealing
with the phone company)

Thanks for everyone's feedback,
Peter Darley