[sf-perl] Named Pipe => ftp get => Named Pipe

Steve Fink sphink at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 08:56:09 PDT 2007

On 8/15/07, Loo, Peter # PHX <Peter.Loo at source.wolterskluwer.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to get a large dataset from one database (Netezza) to another
> database (Oracle).  In Netezza, you can dump a large table within a couple
> of minutes into a text file or a named pipe.  As everyone knows, sqlldr does
> a great job loading as well.  So my thought is to have Netezza dump to a
> named pipe and have Oracle SQL load from a named pipe.  The problem I am
> having is that these two databases are on different servers (Linux and
> Solaris).  Named pipes can not be use on NFS mounted file systems so I am
> planning to use "ftp" a the conduit between the two pipes.  Does anyone know
> if that is possible?  Or is there a better solution?

I'm sure it's possible, but fighting with ftp to use it that way
doesn't sound like much fun. I'd probably use ssh or nc (NetCat) as
the transport.

ssh desthost 'cat > /tmp/destpipe' < /tmp/srcpipe

or

desthost% nc -l -p 9999 > /tmp/destpipe
srchost% nc desthost 9999 < /tmp/srcpipe

The latter is probably less picky about the exact sequencing of everything.