[sf-perl] Named Pipe => ftp get => Named Pipe

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Wed Aug 15 08:56:11 PDT 2007

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Loo, Peter # PHX wrote:

> I am trying to get a large dataset from one database (Netezza) to
> another database (Oracle).  In Netezza, you can dump a large table
> within a couple of minutes into a text file or a named pipe.  As
> everyone knows, sqlldr does a great job loading as well.  So my thought
> is to have Netezza dump to a named pipe and have Oracle SQL load from a
> named pipe.

Can you get Netezza to dump to the "file" /dev/stdout, and then do
something like:

ssh user at netezzahost 'netezza --dump-to=/dev/stdout' | ssh user at bigiron
'oracle --read-from=/dev/stdin'

Similarly, if you're logged-in to netezza host:

netezza --dump-to=/dev/stdout | ssh user at bigiron 'oracle --read-from=/dev/stdin'

You can add '-C' after 'ssh' to add compression to the communication, too,
if you wanted.

-- Asheesh.

--
You can't cheat an honest man.  Never give a sucker an even break or
smarten up a chump.