[sf-perl] Named Pipe => ftp get => Named Pipe

Loo, Peter # PHX Peter.Loo at source.wolterskluwer.com
Wed Aug 15 08:44:14 PDT 2007

Hello All,

I am trying to get a large dataset from one database (Netezza) to
another database (Oracle).  In Netezza, you can dump a large table
within a couple of minutes into a text file or a named pipe.  As
everyone knows, sqlldr does a great job loading as well.  So my thought
is to have Netezza dump to a named pipe and have Oracle SQL load from a
named pipe.  The problem I am having is that these two databases are on
different servers (Linux and Solaris).  Named pipes can not be use on
NFS mounted file systems so I am planning to use "ftp" a the conduit
between the two pipes.  Does anyone know if that is possible?  Or is
there a better solution?

Thanks.

Peter