[rochester-pm-list] Opinion...

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Wed Jan 5 15:27:49 CST 2000

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Fred Edmister wrote:
>          I know that... I can either expire the existing one and overwrite,
> or set the existing value to a new one... I am going by that email, along
> with several other methods I found... I was just wondering if there was an
> advantage to either way... (overwriting opposed to updating... {which you
> can do I found if the cookie is not expired and since mine is a session
> cookie it's there till the browser closes...})  :)  I actually did a LOT of
> reading on this one.. I'm not asking for how to... Just opinion on which
> way may be best...
>          Fred

When you "expire" an existing cookie, you just overwrite it with some
data, including a new date that is in the past, effectively "expiring" it.

When you "change" that value of a cookie, you are also overwriting it with
some data, except this time you are not including an expired date.

They are both exactly the same thing, except for the date thing.  If you
were to "expire" the old one, then write a new one, it would require twice
as many steps, and accomplish nothing more useful.  Just overwrite it with
new data.

What were the other methods you found?

--
Brian Mathis