[Pdx-pm] [csieh at fnal.gov: Re: Horribly Broken RHEL5/SL5 Perl]

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Tue Aug 26 17:53:40 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 04:40:10PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> Based on what has been posted so far, my inclination is to keep it
> simple and use the hard-path /usr/local/bin/perl approach for all
> my local and CGI scripts.  Then I figure out some way to keep the
> modules current and secure, since I will now be dating outside
> my distro and its automated update process.  If there are any
> books or articles or documentation with cookbook-ish formulas
> for doing this mostly correctly, I would welcome some pointers.
> I am in awe of the adept chainsaw juggling practiced by the
> wizards of Perl, but it is not something I want to try at home.

	Another fun thing is when your applications depend on specific
versions of its modules. Now you get to have separate perls for each
application, or hope that nothing breaks when you upgrade them.
	I've found it to be good enough to point apps at version specific
perls, but I'm not sure there's a good answer for this globally.

	Austin