[Pdx-pm] [csieh at fnal.gov: Re: Horribly Broken RHEL5/SL5 Perl]

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 18:43:14 PDT 2008

# from Keith Lofstrom
# on Tuesday 26 August 2008 16:40:

>Then I figure out some way to keep the
>modules current and secure, since I will now be dating outside
>my distro and its automated update process.

Yes.  I'm not sure what sort of security enhancements you were getting
from the RPMs, but the main thing you notice when installing directly
from CPAN is that the latest and greatest is always assumed to be
stable.  You can request a specific (older or alpha) tarball by using
the "$AUTHOR/Foo-Bar-$version.tar.gz" name instead of just "Foo::Bar".
That means you would have to go through the dependencies in bottom-up
order though if you wanted to peg to e.g. all of the versions your RPMs
had.

--Eric
--
"It works better if you plug it in!"