[Pdx-pm] [csieh at fnal.gov: Re: Horribly Broken RHEL5/SL5 Perl]

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Aug 26 16:40:10 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:46:33AM -0700, J. Shirley wrote:

> I would highly recommend looking at local::lib,
> to build it in /opt/perl/perl-5.10

Good stuff!  Everyone agrees with maintaining 2+ Perls, and I
now understand the wisdom of that.   I'm not so convinced by
the env approach, or using /opt for the alternate Perl.  Others
point to writing the scripts with #!/usr/local/bin/perl .   Since I
am not a developer, merely a user crawling through no-man's-land
between the Red Hat and Perl trenches, I hope I can come up with
something that is easy to maintain and understand without getting
my butt shot off by third-party cybersociopaths as I crawl along.

Based on what has been posted so far, my inclination is to keep it
simple and use the hard-path /usr/local/bin/perl approach for all
my local and CGI scripts.  Then I figure out some way to keep the
modules current and secure, since I will now be dating outside
my distro and its automated update process.  If there are any
books or articles or documentation with cookbook-ish formulas
for doing this mostly correctly, I would welcome some pointers.
I am in awe of the adept chainsaw juggling practiced by the
wizards of Perl, but it is not something I want to try at home.

Keith