[oak perl] Andreessen says PHP suceeding over Java

Adrien Lamothe alamozzz at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 21:56:31 PDT 2005

--- David Fetter <david at fetter.org> wrote:

> Marc Andreesen happened to be standing at the right
> place at the right
> time with Netscape.  He has since let his lottery
> ticket winnings go
> to his head, as many of us might do when faced with
> the amount of
> gratitude we would have to show in the face of
> unearned billions.

Right on the mark. The illness you describe is quite
common.

What Andreessen does is address the viability of
"scripting languages" for serious system development,
and how said languages are marching forward, while
Java is "evolving" into a mass of goo. Ruby on Rails
has the potential to de-rail all the nonsense passing
for "web services". Now the industry is moving towards
"SOA" (Service Oriented Architecture.) Another case of
"but wait, things will be different this time, we
promise. Just pony-up $10,000 per seat for our new SOA
development tool."

Unfortunately, most decision-makers listen to guys
like Andreessen, because they can't think for
themselves and thus are really not doing their jobs
(another form of unearned wealth.)

- Adrien

"The revolution will not be televised. The monkeys
will be removed from the thrones and placed back into
their cages."