[oak perl] Andreessen says PHP suceeding over Java

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Thu Oct 20 21:19:23 PDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 07:36:07PM -0700, Adrien Lamothe wrote:
> Interesting article. About time. Java is turning into a train wreck,
> but the corporate fools haven't figured it out yet.
>
> http://www.linux.org/news/2005/10/20/0008.html

Marc Andreesen happened to be standing at the right place at the right
time with Netscape.  He has since let his lottery ticket winnings go
to his head, as many of us might do when faced with the amount of
gratitude we would have to show in the face of unearned billions.

In about 1999, he started LoudCloud.  Ever heard of them?  I didn't
think so.  Now he's started ning.com, another venture of his with the
same basic nonsense as LoudCloud, only with more FLOSS software
underneath.  I'm sure you'll all be shocked to discover that it has
PHP as a component for the end-users.  Oh, and I'm sure you'll be
further shocked to discover that the infrastructure is mostly java.
"Do as I say, not as I do," seems to be the message here.

Cheers,
David Fetter david at fetter.org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!